Building a Foundation of Mutual Respect for Exceptional Patient Care
UT Health Austin clinicians and staff strive to create a respectful environment that enhances patient outcomes
Reviewed by: Lisa Jackson, JD, RN
Written by: Ashley Lawrence
At UT Health Austin, we strive to create a welcoming and respectful environment for our care teams to deliver quality health care to patients and their families. By working together in a safe and respectful way, we can provide the best care experience for you.
UT Health Austin clinicians and staff are expected to uphold high standards of professionalism across several areas, including, but not limited to:
- Demonstrating honesty and integrity.
- Providing patient-centered and compassionate care while upholding confidentiality and embracing altruism.
- Exhibiting reliability, responsibility, and accountability in delivering healthcare services.
- Cultivating a culture of respect in all relationships and encounters.
- Valuing self-improvement and adaptability and continuously striving for growth.
<br>To ensure the best care experience for yourself, other patients, and our care teams, we respectfully request that you:
- Notify the Access Center as soon as possible and at least 24 hours in advance if you need to cancel your appointment.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to complete the check-in process.
- Be considerate when using your cell phone and other electronic devices in clinical spaces.
- Kindly seek permission before taking photographs and/or video or voice recordings of anyone on your care team.
<br>“In the realm of healthcare, respect between providers and patients plays a pivotal role in ensuring the safety and well-being of individuals seeking care,” says Lisa Jackson, JD, RN, who serves as the Executive Director of Clinical Operations for UT Health Austin. “Establishing a culture of respect creates an environment that fosters positive relationships and enhances the overall patient experience.”
<br>The values that are at the forefront of UT Health Austin’s care delivery include:
- Empowerment: Providing the tools that allow you to make informed decisions about your health
- Trust: Listening to your health goals and helping you achieve them
- Connection: Striving to better understand you as a person
- Respect: Recognizing the value of your lifetime of experience
- Excellence: Delivering multidisciplinary, team-based health care that meets your individual needs
- Impact: Improving your health through the power of compassionate, whole-person care
“Respect is the cornerstone of these values,” shares Jackson. “When providers establish respectful relationships with their patients, it empowers patients to become active participants in their care. This collaborative process leads to more personalized and patient-centered treatment plans, reducing the likelihood of medical errors, adverse events, and preventable harm. Respect also cultivates trust, as patients feel valued, acknowledged, and included in their own healthcare journey. With trust comes increased patient satisfaction and improved safety outcomes.”
“By establishing respectful connections between patients and their providers,” continues Jackson, “patients are more likely to provide accurate information, report any changes in their condition promptly, and actively engage in self-management. This enables providers to make well-informed decisions, mitigate risks, and proactively address potential safety concerns. Building a foundation of mutual respect allows us to fulfill our commitment to delivering excellence in patient care and helps create a positive impact on health outcomes.”
Learn more about UT Health Austin’s uncompromising commitment to providing world-class specialty care.
<br>To leave feedback regarding your most recent visit to UT Health Austin, click here.
To learn more about UT Health Austin’s Quality Care, Patient Safety, and Infection Prevention and Control initiative, please visit here.