D. Jeffrey Newport, MD
Psychiatrist, Women’s Reproductive Mental Health , Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, M.D.
Emory University Laney Graduate School, M.S.
General Psychiatry Residency, Emory University School of Medicine
D. Jeffrey Newport, MD is a psychiatrist in the Women’s Reproductive Mental Health program in UT Health Austin’s Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences. Dr. Newport completed a graduate theological degree before receiving his medical degree from the University of South Carolina. He subsequently completed both a general psychiatry residency and master’s degree in clinical research at Emory University.
Dr. Newport and his team will provide clinical care and medical management for pregnancy and preconception planning for women with mental health conditions. His research focuses on women’s mental health with a particular emphasis on the psychobiology of psychiatric illness and substance use disorders during pregnancy and the postpartum period; the pharmacokinetics of psychotropic medication during pregnancy and lactation; and the persistent neuroendocrine and behavioral impact of early life adverse experiences.
- Opiate dependency during pregnancy
- Medication management during pregnancy
- Postpartum depression
- Anxiety pre- and post-partum
- Preconception planning
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Psychiatry
Awards & Honors
- Faculty Teaching Award, University of Miami Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, 2018, 2017, 2015
- Emory Psychiatry Excellence in Teaching Award, 2013, 2012
- Fellow, Woodruff Leadership Academy, Woodruff Health Sciences Center, Emory University, 2012
- Independent Investigator Award, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia & Depression, 2009
- Distinguished Physician Alumni Award, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, 2008