D. Jeffrey Newport, MD
Director, Women’s Reproductive Mental Health , Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences
Psychiatrist, Women’s Reproductive Mental Health , Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, MD
Emory University Laney Graduate School, MS, Clinical Research
Residency, General Psychiatry, Emory University School of Medicine
Research Fellowship, Biological Psychiatry, Emory University School of Medicine
D. Jeffrey Newport, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist and the Director of the Women’s Reproductive Mental Health Clinic within UT Health Austin’s Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences. He specializes in providing psychiatric care during pregnancy and the postpartum period, including preconception planning for women with mental health conditions. Additionally, Dr. Newport is a professor in the Dell Medical School Department of Psychiatry.
Dr. Newport earned his medical degree from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine and his master’s in clinical research from Emory University Laney Graduate School. He completed both a residency in general psychiatry and a research fellowship in biological psychiatry at Emory University School of Medicine.
Dr. Newport’s research focuses on women’s mental health with a particular emphasis on the psychobiology of psychiatric illness and substance use disorders during pregnancy and the postpartum period; the pharmacokinetics of psychotropic medication during pregnancy and lactation; and the persistent neuroendocrine and behavioral impact of traumatic experiences during childhood.
- Medication safety counseling during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Peripartum mood, anxiety, trauma, and substance use disorders
- Preconception planning
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Physician Alumni Award, University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Emory Psychiatry
- Faculty Teaching Award, University of Miami Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- Fellow, Woodruff Leadership Academy
- Independent Investigator Award, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression