Samuel Collier, MD
Director , Treatment Resistant Depression
Psychiatrist , Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, MD
The University of Texas at Austin, BS, Zoology
Residency, Psychiatry, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Samuel Collier, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist and the Director of Treatment-Resistant Depression in UT Health Austin’s Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences. He specializes in the evaluation and treatment of refractory mood disorders. Additionally, Dr. Collier is an associate professor in the Dell Medical School Department of Psychiatry.
Dr. Collier earned his medical degree from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and his bachelor’s in zoology from The University of Texas at Austin. He completed a residency in psychiatry at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he developed expertise in treatment resistant mood disorders, neuromodulation, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
Dr. Collier is an expert in complex psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and neuromodulation. He oversees the transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) program at UT Health Austin as well as the electroconvulsive therapy program at Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin. He collaborates with Dr. Robert Buchanan (Dell Seton Medical Center Neurosurgeon) in the implantation and programming of deep brain stimulation (DBS) devices for refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) devices for refractory depression. He also serves as principal investigator for various research trials studying the efficacy of novel medications and medical devices in mood disorders. He is currently investigating 5-year outcomes of vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) for treatment resistant depression, a trial funded by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Advanced psychopharmacology
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
- Treatment resistant depression (TRD)
- Vagal nerve stimulation (VNS)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Awards & Honors
- Psychiatry Residency Teacher of the Year, Dell Medical School
- Psychiatry Teacher of the Year Award, The University of Texas Southwestern Austin Regional Program
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Award
- Teachers’ Academy Fellow of the American Psychoanalytic Association